United Way of Fort McMurray and Wood Buffalo invests in a broad range of agencies through an annual funding process. There are a number of factors that determine eligibility for financial support from the United Way, the first being that you must be a charitable organization in good standing. There are a number of other things to consider:
- United Way contributes to the programming and operating expenses of an agency and not to its capital expenses (building).
- United Way never assumes full responsibility for an agency’s operating budget.
- United Way contributes to the funding of part of the operating budget or, in some cases, certain programs.
- Agencies are expected to obtain maximum funds available from governments and other sources.
- Unless a change occurs, a member agency can expect that its request will be evaluated annually. However, there is not a guaranteed allocation from year to year.
United Way’s philosophy is that volunteers have a community responsibility to ensure that contributed funds are spent wisely and efficiently. Since it is assumed that there will always be heavy competition for available funds, the Investment Committee’s task remains to invest funds where they are most needed and where they will have maximum impact. United Way funds are not guaranteed to member agencies. If public programs from any level of government are available to displace United Way funding, agencies are directed to them. The United Way will not continue to support poor management or programs that do not meet actual need in the community. The United Way deals with such circumstances in an orderly, consultative manner to ensure that the public interest, both donor and client, are protected.
Download the United Way Member Agency Application by clicking here.
Download the Program Profile by clicking here.
Download the United Way Member Agency Budget Sheet by clicking here.
** In order to access the files, please download them, save them on your device, and open them from where they are saved.
Funding Cycle April 1, 2020-March 31, 2021
Preliminary Application Due: October 4, 2019
Final Application Due: November 8, 2019
Funding Meetings: November 18-February 15
Late February Community Investment Committee makes recommendation to the Board of Directors
Mid March Funding announcements
If you have any questions, contact our Community Investment Office: 780-791-0077, ext. 3019