United Way Fort McMurray and Wood Buffalo
HOURS: Full Time (35 hours per week)
REPORTS TO: Director of Community Impact and Development
The Communications Specialist reports to the Director of Community Impact and Development and is accountable for the successful public image of all materials, communications, and related activities of staff, and volunteers. In the absence of Executive Director and, after consultation with appropriate individuals, may be asked to assume responsibility for representing the organization publicly and other duties as assigned.
Primary Areas of Responsibility
- Draft and/or approve official correspondence on behalf of the Executive Director and communications for Campaign, Community Investment, Redpoll Centre and overall United Way materials.
- Working with the Communications Committee to ensure the development of year-round marketing and communications plan for the United Way. Ensure the successful completion of the communications plan
- Responsible for the management of UWFMWB’s events.
- Be familiar with the administration of the entire organization and its operations including the Board of Directors, committees, financial activities, and agencies.
- Ensure a professional presence for United Way on social media.
- Maintain and develop positive working relationships with a broad range of stakeholders including media, donors, funders, volunteers, all levels of government, other nonprofit and business organizations.
- Be alert to community issues and opportunities for collaboration or community leadership activities that may have an impact on the United Way and/or our agencies and be proactive in bringing these to the attention of the Director of Community Impact and Development
- Liaise with United Way of Canada and other United Ways as a resource to the United Way of Fort McMurray.
- Contribute to a cohesive and inspired staff team.
- Proven leadership expertise including experience in non-profit administration, management, and/or fundraising
- Highly skilled with proven experience in developing effective written promotional and communication materials.
- Excellent aptitude for proofreading, grammar and spelling.
- Superior verbal communication, interpersonal skills and social acuity
- Experience working directly or indirectly with Boards of Directors
- Demonstrated ability to engage partners, corporate, public, stakeholders, and member agencies
- Demonstrated commitment to the voluntary sector with experience in areas of social or human services
- Self motivated and innovative with the ability to work without supervision
- Ability to establish priorities and timelines to handle multiple projects in an efficient, accurate and professional manner
- Political sensitivity and an understanding of issues as they relate to the United Way
- Microsoft Office Professional, including Publisher and Power Point, Photo Shop etc.
Please send an electronic copy of your resume to Maryellen Fenech, Director of Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would kindly ask you to include a cover letter expressing your interest in the position, the qualifications that make you suited to the role, and your salary expectations. Only candidates considered for interviews will be contacted.